Going green: Secret garden
Vince Dooley (left) and Hubert McAlexander reveal a new historical marker commemorating the site of a 19th century UGA botanical garden, a four-acre area in Athens bordered by Broad, Finley, Reese and Pope streets. Held in October, the ceremony drew a crowd of about 100. The garden’s founder, Malthus Ward, taught mineralogy and botany at UGA and created the garden, which was one of Athens’ top attractions during its existence from 1833-1856. Research was conducted for the marker—and funds were contributed to pay for it—by Dooley, former UGA athletics director and amateur horticulturist; McAlexander, retired UGA English professor and Dearing Street resident; and Michael Dirr, retired UGA professor and nationally recognized horticulturist.