Recognition for Old Athens Cemetery
Thanks to the work of a UGA employee, the Jackson Street Cemetery on the UGA campus has been added to the National Register of Historic Places. Janine Duncan (MA ’07) began the effort to preserve the cemetery three years ago, when she was a graduate student in the School of Environmental Design. The effort included cleaning and repairing many of the 800 graves on the two-and-a-half acre site and clearing away overgrown vegetation. The cemetery, on Jackson Street near the visual arts building, was used primarily between 1810 and 1856. Buried there are merchants, tailors, ministers, children of UGA faculty members, families of state government officials and two UGA presidents, Robert Finley and Moses Waddel. Duncan is working with anthropology faculty and students to identify unmarked graves in the cemetery. Also known as the Old Athens Cemetery, the site is the eighth UGA property to be placed on the national register, compiled by the U.S. Department of the Interior.