Honoring state leaders
UGA honored three former Georgia governors, S. Ernest Vandiver, Joe Frank Harris and Zell Miller, for their contributions to higher education by naming prominent campus buildings after them.
- A residence hall in the East Campus Village was named for S. Ernest Vandiver Jr. (AB ’40, LLB ’42), the state’s chief executive from 1959 to 1963.
- East Village Commons now is the Joe Frank Harris Commons in honor of Harris (BBA ’58), who served two terms from 1983 to 1991.
- The Student Learning Center was renamed for Zell B. Miller (AB ’57, MA ’58), recognizing his 60 years of public service including two terms as governor, from 1991 to 1999, and four years in the U.S. Senate.