Obituaries

Compiled by Lesley Onstott

Alumni obituaries should be sent directly to the Alumni Records office so that the information can be verified and information on the alumnus updated. Records will then send the information to GM for publication. It can take three to six months, or more depending on volume, for an obituary to appear on the magazine web site.

You may email obits to records@uga.edu or mail them to the Alumni Records Dept, 394 S. Milledge Ave., Athens GA 30602.

1930–1934

Nelda “Sissy” Murphy Bennett (ABEd ’32) of Decatur died Jan. 28. Bennett, always dedicated to education, was an integral part of the development and creation of the Atlanta Housing Authority, where she worked until her retirement. An avid bridge player and talented pianist, she was also committed to the Wieuca Road Baptist Church and TLC Sunday School class. Bennett loved to travel and watch sports, hardly ever missing a Braves game or day of reading the sports page. A member of the Peachtree Pilots Club for over 50 years, she is remembered as a loving aunt and is survived by her nieces and nephews. Mealor Jeanne McCommon Downs (BSPE ’34) of Athens died April 12. During her time at UGA, Downs was a member of the Dolphin Swim Club, Dance Club, Tennis Club and Horseback Riding Team. She taught these skills and good sportsmanship to her children and grandchildren, as well as to many young people through Georgia State College for Women, Athens YWCA, Girl Scouts and horseback riding programs. Downs loved traveling and planned several trips for her family, often to historical sites and national monuments. In 1983 she graduated from UGA as a non-traditional student, earning a master’s of education in therapeutic recreation, a graduate certificate in gerontology and a graduate certificate in historic preservation. Her devotion to preservation inspired her to become a founding member of Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation in 1967 and to be instrumental in the preservation of the Franklin House and the Church-Waddel-Brumby House, where she served as Welcome Center manager and volunteer from its opening in 1973. As a member of Athens Country Club she played an important role in getting the swimming pool and tennis courts built and is honored each year through the Jeanne Downs Tennis Tournament. Downs was a member of Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Athens Country Club Ladies Tennis Association and Golf Association, Athens Woman’s Club, Joseph Henry Lumpkin Foundation Board, Zeta Tau Alpha Alumni, Friends of Oconee Hill Cemetery, Athens Historical Society and Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation.

1935–1939

Aldine Aaron Rosser (BSEd ’36) of Tifton died April 21. A lifelong Methodist, Rosser served as an officer with distinction in the U.S. Navy during World War II (WWII) in the Pacific Theater, where his ship was sunk by a Japanese kamikaze pilot. After earning his degree at UGA, Rosser was a teacher and then assistant superintendent of public schools in Tifton. He devoted the next 36 years of his life to the health care field. Rosser was elected president of the Georgia Hospital Association and became the administrator of Warren Candler Hospital in Savannah two years later. He served as administrator at Bulloch Memorial Hospital until his retirement in 1985. He is survived by his daughter, grandsons and great-grandson. Mary Jo Little (BSC ’37) of Hampton, Va., formerly of Atlanta, died May 27. After marriage, Little joined the PTA organizations of her children’s schools and became involved in many community projects, including the Sherwood Forest Garden Club. A long-time choir member at First Baptist Church of Atlanta, she later found time to travel. She enjoyed spending time with the Golden Friends Senior Club and joined the 20-member ukulele band. She became a member of the Hampton Baptist Church, where she was active in the Victory Singers and her Sunday School class. Little loved her friends at the Devonshire Retirement Community, especially her “bridge cronies.” John “Jack” Brett (BSC ’39) of Tampa, Fla., originally from Atlanta, died May 25. A veteran of WWII, he served as a rifle company commander in the U.S. Marine Corps. After his graduation, he served as a special agent in the FBI for 24 years. Later he became a security manager for General Telephone & Electronics and retired after 12 years. He served on several community boards, traveled often and loved life’s adventures. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery. Nelle Martin Tuggle (BSHE ’39) of Atlanta died April 9. Tuggle was a devoted Christian and lay-serving Sunday School teacher, first at Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church and later at Trinity Presbyterian Church. A lifelong student, Tuggle created the Return to College Program at Agnes Scott College, where she studied French from 1976 to 1979. She was active in supporting the Atlanta community through the High Museum, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, the Atlanta Speech School and the Rabun Gap Nacoochee School. Tuggle was a member of the P.E.O. for over 50 years, an avid bridge player and reader. She perfected the art of written correspondence and traveled extensively with her husband. One of her gifts was making friends, through which she became the mother to many “daughters.” Tuggle loved spending time with her family and is survived by many loved ones. J. Hilton Watson (BSF ’39) of Millbrook died March 25. After serving in WWII in the Army’s horse cavalry unit, he was honorably discharged as a major. Watson began his career as a forest ranger for Tallapoosa County and then as district forester in Montgomery. In 1951, he began working with the Alabama Forest Products Association, staying with them until his retirement in 1986 as chief executive officer. He played an integral role in the development of Auburn University’s School of Forestry. He was chairman of the Alabama Forestry Council, was inducted into the Alabama Foresters’ Hall of Fame, was chairman of the Alabama chapter and the Southeastern section of the Society of American Foresters, and was president of the Alabama Resource Development Committee. He was a philanthropist and was involved in several civic groups. An active member of St. James Methodist Church in Montgomery and then of Millbrook United Methodist Church, he was president of the Montgomery Toastmasters Club and district governor of Toastmasters International. A love of travel drew him and his wife of 67 years across the world on forestry trade missions. He is survived by many loved ones.

1940–1944

James Wilton Chapman (M ’40) of Oldsmar, Fla., died May 30. Chapman worked with IBM for 36 years before moving to Florida. He is survived by his loving wife of 63 years, his daughter, brothers, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Sadie Eileene Thompson LeRoy (BSHE ’40) of Cumming and Ailey died April 1. A devoted mother, wife, grandmother and great-grandmother, LeRoy devoted her life to Christian education, community pride and civic involvement. After graduating in the top 10 percent of her class from UGA, she taught home economics at Montgomery County High School for 30 years. LeRoy was named Teacher of the Year in 1956 and Star Teacher in 1973. In 1972, she received an honorary state homemaker degree from the Georgia Farmers Home Administration. LeRoy acted as first lady of Ailey between 1958 and 1980, during which time the city of Ailey evolved into an “Outstanding Small City,” recognized both within the state and nationally. In 1992, LeRoy was recognized with a Distinguished Alumni Award for her “never-ending devotion to her community and to God.” She is survived by many loved ones. Kathleen “Kit” Norville (BSEd ’40) of Alcoa, Tenn., died May 28, 2008. While at UGA, Norville was a member of the Alpha Omicron Pi sorority and was named Sigma Chi’s Sweetheart. A teacher for many years, she devoted herself to her family and community. Norville served as a Girl Scout leader and Cub Scout den mother. Also dedicated to her faith, she was one of the founding members of Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church in Alcoa. She is survived by her husband of 66 years, Richard Norville Sr., as well as children and grandchildren. Margaret Dyer (BSHE ’41) of Moultrie died April 9. George Washington Westbrook (BSA ’41) of Athens died April 11. Westbrook was a WWII veteran, real estate broker and developer with Westbrook Realty. A lifelong member of Mt. Hermon Presbyterian Church, Westbrook had a significant and memorable impact on his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Fred Belcher (AB ’42, JD ’47) of Nashville, Ga., died March 12. A WWII veteran, Belcher served as a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Air Force Reserve. He was also in the Army Air Corps and was a prisoner of war (POW). He practiced law for many years with memberships in the state of Georgia and the Alapaha Bar Assocations. He was approved for practice in the military court of appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court. He was also a member of Nashville United Methodist Church, a mason in the Duncan Lodge 234 and a life member of the Nashville Post VFW. He is survived by his wife, children, a brother, grandsons and one great-grandson. Josephine Doyle (AB ’42) of Savannah died June 19, 2007. Doyle was a longtime resident of Savannah and a member of St. James Catholic Church. She is survived by two sons and many loved ones.  Mozelle Johnson Hughes (BSHE ’42) of Carrollton died May 8. James Barry Minor (M ’42) of Americus, Ga., formerly of Atlanta, died April 5 on his 85th birthday. An accomplished cardiologist, Minor attended Arkansas School of Medicine after graduating from UGA. Minor was a pioneer in the field of cardiology, beginning his career in St. Louis, Mo., in 1949. He later moved to Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York and then back to Atlanta. Minor worked to develop the heart-lung machine in animals while in St. Louis, collaborated in the development of the balloon stent used in angioplasty and heart bypass in Switzerland, was part of the team that installed the first pacemaker in Georgia, worked in cardiac catherizations, and worked in conjunction with the Lockheed Corporation and General Electric in what would later become the Holter heart monitor used by patients worldwide. Minor’s private practice was the only one in Georgia to have a self-contained cardiac catherization lab and one of few to have an outpatient facility. He taught at Emory University and Grady Hospital and gave several presentations to the American College of Cardiology. Minor continuously strived to conquer heart disease. Besides his dedication to his work, Minor was a devoted father and husband. In the 1970s, he was manager to all five of his son’s baseball teams. He enjoyed boating, fishing and serving God. He left behind several contributions to the advancement of today’s modern medicine. He is survived by his wife of 55 years, Mary Tuchschmidt, sons, and many loved ones. Frances Roberta Brown (BS ’43) of Royston died Nov. 4. A lifelong Methodist and member of the Royston First United Methodist Church, Brown was a member of the Chi Omega sorority during her years at UGA. An avid golfer and tennis player, she enjoyed the time she spent with her family and many friends. A lifelong learner, Brown continued her studies at Cambridge University-Emmanuel College in England and at UGA. She served the Royston Public Library for 35 years, the Governor’s Council for Maternal and Infant Child Care for 15 years, the Ty Cobb Hospital Auxillary, the Franklin/Hart/Elbert Ladies Medical Auxillary, and the Ladies Auxillary for the Southern Railway Surgeons Association, for which she served as president. Brown was also active in the local and state Democratic party, Emmanuel College fundraising campaign, and the state and national Habitat for Humanity programs. She is survived by numerous loved ones. Patricia Rose Durham (AB ’43) of Gainesville, formerly of Savannah, died April 7. After graduating from UGA, Durham served the U.S. District Attorney’s Office in Savannah for 30 years. She completed and published a history of family genealogy. She was a member of Savannah First Baptist Church, the UGA Alumni Association, the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Jackson County Historical Society. Robert C. Neely Jr. (BSA ’43) of Waynesboro died May 1. Neely was a certified real estate appraiser and served as a member of the Burke County Board of Assessors. Following graduation from Sewanee Military Academy and UGA, he served in the U.S. Army in Europe from 1943-1946 during WWII. After the war, Neely was a farmer and pecan producer and processor. He was the former president and manager of Neely Bonded Cotton Warehouse. Neely was a director and past president of the Georgia Field Trial Association, past president of the Waynesboro Rotary Club and past director of the Georgia chapter of the National Association of Master Appraisers. Carolyn C. Wolfe (BSHE ’43) of Warm Springs died March 29. A retired home economics teacher at the Manchester Middle School, Wolfe was a member of the First Baptist Church, Manchester. She will be missed by her son and several grandchildren. Mary Broadrick (BSHE ’44) of Dalton died April 26. Broadrick was a member of the Dalton First United Methodist Church, volunteer at Hamilton Medical Center and a member of the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society. She is survived by many loved ones.

1945–1949

William Huffman (M ’45) of Rome died Dec. 7. A veteran of the U.S. Air Force who served in WWII, Huffman received the Heart of the Community Award in 1995. He was a life trustee at Darlington School; member of the board of visitors and chairman of development for Shorter College; director of Floyd Health Care Foundation; trustee of the Student Education Fund; and governor’s appointee to the state commission on compensation. He was an officer and director of the Greater Rome Chamber of Commerce, president of the Exchange Club and Coosa Valley Fair Association, chairman of the Floyd County Tech-Georgia Development Fund, and a past state officer for the Jaycees. He received the Young Man of the Year Award and was a co-founder of the local YMCA, Rome Little League, Rome-Floyd County Industrial Development Authority, the Georgia State Bank and the United Givers of Floyd County. He served as chairman of the Georgia State Bank and AmSouth Bank. At the YMCA he acted as a trustee of the organization, chairman of the building committee and co-chairman of the capital fund drive. Huffman also helped organize the original state chamber “Red Carpet Tour,” received the Darlington Distinguished Alumni Award in 2006, and served as director on the board of Panda Energy Corporation in Dallas. He was a member of the First Baptist Church of Rome and is survived by his wife, two children and many loved ones. Kathleen Mize DuPree (BSHE ’46) of Albany died April 12. She is survived by her husband, Stan, with whom she owned DuPree Drugs and served the community. DuPree was a lifetime member of Sherwood Baptist Church, where she taught Sunday School for 30 years. Audrey Pearlman (ABJ ’46) of Orlando, Fla., formerly of Savannah, died April 2. During her time at UGA she served as president of Delta Phi Epsilon sorority. Pearlman and her husband of 60 years, David, moved to Orlando in 1957 to open Kane Furniture, where she served as vice president for more than 30 years until her retirement. Pearlman defined her life through her love for her family, friends and faith. She was a member of Temple Israel since 1957, Temple Israel Sisterhood, Organization for Rehabilitative Training, Holocaust Memorial Resource and Educational Center of Central Florida, a founding member of the Jewish Genealogical Society of Greater Orlando, and a founding member of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Orlando. The Community Center honored her as Woman of the Year in 1997 for her dedication. Audrey was also recognized as a Lion of Judah at the Jewish Federation of Greater Orlando. The same year, Jewish Family Services dedicated the Pearlman Pantry to Audrey and David in honor of their generosity. During her final trip to Israel, she observed numerous plaques in her and her husband’s names celebrating their support at the Hadassah University Hospital in Jerusalem, where she was a life member. Audrey is survived by her children and many loved ones. Charles D. Blain (BS ’47) of Charlotte, N.C., formerly of Atlanta, died Dec. 30. Blain served his country during WWII in the U.S. Army. After graduating from UGA, he attended the University of Tennessee, Memphis, dental college. Blain established a dental practice in Atlanta, where he worked for 40 years. Charles Bosshardt (BBA ’47) of Atlanta died April 12. A devoted Christian, Bosshardt served as a decorated lieutenant in the Army Air Corps 458 Bomber Group stationed in England, where he flew 20 missions over Germany. After the war, he worked briefly for AB&C Railroad Company and then for 33 years as an accountant and risk and finance manager for Atlanta-based Oxford Industries. Taking on father-like responsibilities at the age of 7 after the unexpected death of his father, Boshardt developed skills that made him a great and loving father to his own children. A 50-year member of St. John’s United Methodist Church, of which he and his wife of over 60 years were organizing members, he read the Bible 17 times, often rising before dawn to read. He enjoyed his favorite hobby, gardening, until his death. He will be missed and remembered by many loved ones. Robert Hunt Dunlap (BBA ’48) of Ft. Myers, Fla., formerly of Atlanta, died Jan. 10. During his time as a student at UGA, Dunlap was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi and Gridiron Secret Society. He is a veteran of the U.S. Navy, serving during WWII. In 1968, he attended Harvard’s graduate school of business. He began his banking career at Citizens & Southern National Bank in 1948 and was promoted to vice president in 1963. The same year he joined Austell Bank as its president, staying there until 1981. For the next five years before his retirement, Dunlap served as senior vice president for Citizens & Southern National Bank, which had acquired Austell Bank. He was a member of several clubs including the Cherokee Town & Country Club, Commerce Club, President’s Club of UGA and the Royal Palm Yacht Club. Dunlap served as president of the Georgia Bankers Association in 1974-75, was a member of the American Bankers Association Governing Council, served on the Government Relations Council from 1975 until 1981, and served as chairman of the board of directors of the Farmers & Merchants Community Bank in Senoia from 1991 to 2000. Dunlap was a communicant of the Episcopal Cathedral of St. Philip in Atlanta. After retirement Dunlap and his wife spent as much time as possible on their yacht, sailing between Florida and the Chesapeake Bay area. The two enjoyed traveling and often voyaged around the world. Dunlap became a cattle rancher, working on his farm in Senoia. In 2005, the Dunlaps moved to Florida. He will be missed dearly by many loved ones. Sarah L. Kent (BBA ’48) of Fairfax, Va., died Feb. 27. She is survived by her husband of 57 years and many loved ones. Robert “Bob” Poss (BSAE ’48) of Toccoa, formerly of Tifton, died April 3. Poss interrupted his college career to fight in WWII as a second lieutenant navigator of a B-17 bomber with the 401 Bomb Group, 8th Air Force in the U.S. Air Force in England. After graduating from UGA, he worked for the Lilliston Implement Company in Albany for seven years. In 1955, he was hired as manager of Russell Daniel Irrigation Company’s new Tifton farm equipment and irrigation company. Poss was renowned for his knowledge of irrigation. He traveled to Africa, where he installed two irrigation systems for much-needed food production. At First United Methodist Church of Tifton, Poss served as secretary, chairman of the board, chairman of the education committee and member of the nominating committee and was active in the Sunday School department. Since 1948, Poss was a member of the Georgia Irrigation Association and a member of Florida I.A. and Georgia Farm Equipment Association since 1955. He is survived by his wife, with whom he celebrated his 60th wedding anniversary in December, two children and several other loved ones. George D. Roane (BSAE ’48) of Sarasota, Fla., formerly of Catonsville, Md., died March 12. Roane served in WWII as a lieutenant in the Air Force. After graduating from UGA, he worked with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. He retired from Westinghouse. Roane volunteered at Sarasota Memorial Hospital after his retirement. Nixon Crosby (BBA ’49) of Aiken, S.C., died Jan. 27. Crosby was a retired major from the U.S. Air Force and an insurance underwriter for traveler’s insurance. He was a longtime member of St. Paul United Methodist Church, Methodist Men’s Club and Cascade Lodge No. 94 F&AM in Atlanta, where he served as a mason. He is survived by his sons, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Richard Lewis (BBA ’49) of Atlanta died April 2. Lewis was a WWII veteran who served in Germany and France. After the war, Lewis attended UGA before working for the IRS until his retirement at the age of 54. He ran his own tax business until November. Lewis is survived by his daughter, sister, former brother-in-law and dear friend Patricia Lawrence. Harry W. Martin (AB ’49, MA ’50) of Corpus Christi, Texas, died Sept. 21, 2007. Gerald J. O’Rourke Jr. (LLB ’49, AB ’50) of Placentia, Calif., died April 26. A veteran of WWII, he fought with the U.S. Army Air Corps during the Battle of the Bulge and on Omaha Beach. O’Rourke practiced trial and corporate law for 35 years before his retirement. He is survived by his wife, three daughters, four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Aubrey Scales (M ’49) of Anderson, S.C., died March 29. A Bronze Star recipient from his years serving in the U.S. Army in the 34th Infantry in Italy during WWII, Scales retired as senior vice president and director of First Federal Savings and Loan and Carolina First Bank after 34 years. He was a member of Anderson American Legion Post 14, a member of the Anderson Lions Club, where he served as president, recipient of the Melvin Jones Award and was a 50-year pin recipient. Scales was a member of Trinity United Methodist Church for 55 years, a Sunday School teacher and a member of the building committee, which built the educational building and sanctuary. He is survived by his wife, three daughters and many loved ones. Ernest Wester (BSAE ’49) of Smyrna died March 30. An Army Signal Corps veteran who served from 1943-46 in the European theater as a fixed station radio operator, technician 4th grade, he later served in England, France and Germany. From 1951-78, Wester served as the Cobb Extension director. He was also a deacon at MFB, member of Cobb Marietta Retired Teacher’s Association, vice president and life member of Georgia County Agents Association, life member of GA 4H Agents Association, and past president of Kennestone Hospital Volunteers. Wester was also the director of the Cobb County 4H Youth Program, which had more than 5,000 members, the largest in the nation. He compiled a history of the Cobb 4H for the years 1951-97. He is survived by several nieces and nephews. Ernest Wood (BSA ’49) of Dayton, Ohio, died Feb. 25.

1950–1954

James D. Bridges (BBA ’50) of Franklin died April 21. Bridges served in the Air Force as a crew member on B-29 bombers during World War II. After graduating from UGA, he worked at GMAC for 30 years, retiring as a district sales manager. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Franklin and served as an elder for over 20 years at the First Presbyterian Church in Phenix City, Ala. Bridges was also a long-time member of the American Foreign Legion. Joseph Luther Bunting (ABJ ’50, MAJ ’51, MEd ’75) of Suwanee, formerly of Waycross, died March 30. A member of Trinity United Methodist Church and the John Wesley Sunday School Class, the WWII Navy veteran was both loving and outgoing. After graduating from UGA, Bunting was the editor of the Abbeville Chronicle and the Hawkinsville Dispatch and News. He began a monthly magazine, the Ware County Times, after returning to Waycross. Georgia’s new detention system at the Waycross Regional Youth Development Center hired him as the first director. Bunting loved working with the children, finding in each a unique quality to love. He became the first president of the Georgia Juvenile Detention Association and was secretary of the committee that drew up Georgia’s first detention standards. He was proud of the two top awards he received: Georgia Juvenile Services Association’s Harold K. Ables Award for significant contributions in the field of juvenile services and the Georgia Juvenile Detention Association’s Grady L. Dickey Award for unselfish dedication to the field. Bunting loved big band music, playing the piano in many combos and big bands, including the Eager Beavers, the Emory University dance orchestra, UGA’s Bulldogs Dance Band and the Waycross area’s Men of Note. He is survived by his wife, one daughter, one grandson and many loved ones. Tap Carey (BBA ’50) of Bostwick died May 29. He is survived by his son. Phyllis Simms Hendley (M ’50) of Cumming died April 7. The epitome of a great lady in the finest Southern tradition, Hendley was a kind, loving, giving and compassionate mother. During her years at UGA she was voted Miss Modern Venus by Sigma Chi fraternity and was a member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority. Hendley worked as a personal shopper before joining AT&T. A devoted wife and wonderful mother, she will be missed by her husband of 59 years, her children and many loved ones. Clare “Bud” Livingston Bromley Jr. (DVM ’51) of Gainesville, Fla., died Jan. 11. As part of the first graduating class from UGA’s College of Veterinary Medicine, Bromley was devoted to the science all his life. Still making jokes on his death bed, Bromley was always smiling. A WWII B-24 bomber crew veteran, he opened and ran one of the first small animal veterinary practices in Atlanta. He is survived by his children and many loving friends. Philip Branson Jr. (M ’52) of Destin, Fla., died April 24. Branson served in the Korean War as a first lieutenant. He then became the president of the Branson Co. until his retirement to Destin. He is survived by his wife and many loved ones. Eugene M. Mitchell (AB ’52) of Farmington Hills, Mich., died Aug. 8, 2007. One of the last blood relatives of Margaret Mitchell, author of Gone With the Wind, he kept her spirit alive through his philanthropy. Mitchell is remembered for his compassion, first instilled by his aunt. He gave several donations to Morehouse College. A U.S. government economist, Mitchell was also a member of the Scarab Club, Our Lady of Sorrows Church and MENSA. Mitchell is survived by his wife of 32 years and a brother. Alvin Moye Hitt Jr. (M ’54) of Savannah died April 25. A U.S. Marine veteran, he served in WWII and the Korean War. He lived in Savannah his entire life and was a former president of the Savannah Setoma Club. A member of the Savannah Bar Association, he was a practicing attorney and accountant. He is survived by his wife of 60 years, daughters, a son and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

1955–1959

William Lee Woodrum (BSAE ’57) of Statesboro died April 8. Dedicated to his family, friends and God, Woodrum spent four years in the Air Force stationed in the United Kingdom during the Korean War. After graduation, he worked for Southern Bell Telephone Company in several positions for 30 years. After retirement, he was a tax preparer for H&R Block, through which he helped family and friends with their taxes. Woodrum and his family joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1963. A devotee to the church, he held many positions there including teacher, financial clerk, ward clerk, bishop’s counselor, bishop and high councilor. He enjoyed studying family genealogy research and history, tending his homestead, hunting, fishing and making homemade syrup. Woodrum served as president and treasurer of the Telephone Pioneers, the retirement organization of Bell Telephone, as well as treasurer for the Bulloch County Wildlife Club and American Legion Post 90. He will be remembered as a devoted father and Christian by his children, grandchildren and many loved ones. Fred Franks (BSEd ’58) of Guin, Ala., died May 29. A veteran of the Korean War, he served in the U.S. Army. After graduating, Franks spent his teaching and coaching career in Dekalb County at Cross Keys High School, Peachtree High School and Henderson High School. He was a member of the Guin First Baptist Church and the Atlanta Tip Off Club, and a charter member of the Dekalb County Tip Off Club. In 1996, Franks was inducted into the Marion County Sports Hall of Fame, and 10 years later he was inducted into the Mississippi Junior College Sports Hall of Fame. He is survived by many loved ones.  Charlotte Ray Orr (BSEd ’58) of Elder Mountain, Tenn., died April 30, 2007. She was a graduate of Reinhardt College as well as UGA. A teacher in the Walker County and Dalton city school systems, she also co-founded G.T. Distributors Inc. with her husband of 49 years, Bill Orr. She is survived by her husband, two children and grandchildren. Robert Edgar “Eddie” Ausband Sr. (BBA ’59) of McDonough died April 1. After 37 years in pharmaceutical sales, Ausband retired as regional vice president. Very involved with the First Baptist Church of McDonough, he served as a deacon, Sunday School director and Sunday School teacher. He devoted his life to his faith, his wife of 48 years, his family and his love for travel. He is survived by his wife, children, grandchildren and several loved ones. Wayne Welch (BSF ’59) of Buckhead died Oct. 5.

1960–1964

Charles Peek III (AB ’60, MA ’63) of Lubbock, Texas, died April 9. Peek was a professor at Texas Tech for 33 years after earning his Ph.D. in sociology from Duke University. The loving husband, father, brother and friend loved teaching, research projects, good food, Texas music and spending time with his beloved family. He is survived by his wife of 48 years, his children and many loved ones. Duross Fitzpatrick (BSF ’61, LLB ’66) of Jeffersonville did Jan. 6. Fitzpatrick served his country in the Marine Corps from 1954-57 and was honorably discharged as sergeant. He worked as a forester between 1961-64. He began practicing law in 1965, first in Macon and then Cochran. From 1967 to 1986 he worked in private practice, becoming a senior partner of Fitzpatrick & Mullis in 1983. On Nov. 13, 1985, President Ronald Reagan nominated Fitzpatrick as U.S. District Judge for the Middle District of Georgia. He was sworn in Dec. 31, 1985. He served as chief judge of the same district from February 1995 to February 2001, at which time he became senior judge. He developed a reputation for fairness and kindness in the district. Fitzpatrick was a member of several groups and boards including the Life Fellow American Bar Foundation, Georgia Chief Justice’s Commission on Professionalism, and the State Bar of Georgia, for which he served as president from 1984-85. Fitzpatrick loved studying American history, photography, hunting and traveling. He was a member of Christ Episcopal Church and Palavar. He is survived by his wife, two children and two grandchildren. George Williams Jr. (DVM ’61) of East Point died March 31. Williams always considered himself lucky, being married to Sara for 58 years and loving his veterinarian practice. Before attending UGA, he served as an army paratrooper in WWII. After graduating, he practiced veterinary medicine in East Point for 36 years at his own East Point Animal Clinic. He loved his family, animals and the community in which he worked. Williams was a long-time member of East Point Presbyterian Church. Willis Nolen Jr. (BS ’62) of Luthersville died April 16, 2007. Nolen was one of the oldest members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and founder and commander of the Lewis Armistead Camp 1796. He was a member of Luthersville Methodist Church and a member of Company B 41st Ga. Inf., Company B 8th Ga. Inf., the 16th Ga. Inf. and Company Q 51st PA. Inf. Nolen worked for Leonard Peterson & Son in Alabama. His family and friends survive him. Jean Pantell Burton Sikora (MEd ’63, PhD ’75) of Athens died Jan. 25. Sikora was a lifelong devoted teacher. She began her career teaching in 1959 at Clarke County Junior High School and received the Science Teacher of the Year Award in 1965. Around this time, she also received a NASA fellowship to earn a doctoral degree in zoology. She continued to teach at Rutledge Academy and in 1975 received her doctorate. In 1973, she moved to the University of South Carolina with her husband, Walter, to do research in coastal marshes. Together they moved to Texas where she worked for an environmental consulting firm. Later she joined the staff at Louisiana State University’s Center for Wetland Resources. Once Sikora completed her research she worked for the Louisiana State Department of Education, for which she developed grade school marine science curricula. She then returned to teaching in Livingston, La., until her retirement in 1993.The following year she returned to Athens and became an active member of the League of Women Voters, for which she served as the editor and producer of the newsletter. Among her many activities, she voluntarily screened grant proposals for the Jeanette Rankin Foundation and sewed, a lifelong hobby. She is survived by her husband, children and grandchild. Kitty W. Fryer (AB ’64, MEd ’70) of Charlottesville, Va., formerly of Walhalla, died March 29. She was a retired guidance counselor at Seneca High School. Henry Parks Moss Jr. (BBA ’64) of Ridgeland, S.C., died May 29. Moss was the owner/principal of Moss Marine LLC Consulting Firm and owner/principal/broker of South Atlantic Real Estate Development LLC, both of Ridgeland. Between 1990 and 2004, he served as Jasper County administrator and was a former city manager for Beaufort, S.C. Moss also served as an assistant city manager for Brunswick and was the owner of Moss & Associates Consultants of Durham, N.C. He was a former director of development for the Durham, N.C., Redevelopment Commission, initiating the Jasper County port project on the Savannah River and recruiting and negotiating entitlements for the new hospital facility, D Coastal Carolina Medical Center, in Hardeeville, S.C. He also negotiated to construct a three-generator power plant on the Savannah River near Hardeeville. A Rotarian and past president of the Beaufort Rotary Club, he played an integral part in founding the Jasper County Rotary Club. He is survived by his wife, children and many loved ones.

1965–1969

Frank Wright Neal III (BBA ’65) of Campobello, S.C., died May 28. Neal served his country during the Cuban missile crisis through the U.S. Navy. He owned and operated Neal Contracting after retiring from Owens Coming Fiberglass. Neal loved his family, fishing, hunting, racing and bluegrass music. He was a member of Woodlawn United Methodist Church in Augusta. He is survived by his wife, three sons, one daughter and siblings. J. Tyrone “Ty” Gibson (BSPH ’66, MS ’69) of Auburn, Ala., died Jan. 22. Gibson was a hard worker from childhood, which he spent working on farms around his hometown in South Georgia. He served as a captain in the U.S. Public Health Service and was on the faculty at the University of Houston before completing pharmacy school at Auburn University. His research in pharmacy care systems from 1972 until his retirement in 1995 brought him national recognition. Gibson published more than 20 research articles and an important book, Medication Law and Behavior. He was named professor emeritus after his retirement. Gibson began a small company, HDI Solutions/Health Information Designs Inc., which grew into the largest locally owned private employer in Auburn with over 500 employees and millions of dollars in revenue. The year before his death, Gibson was honored with two awards from the Auburn Chamber of Commerce. He was also named the Norm Caldwell Industrialist of the Year in 2007. Gibson is remembered for his warmth, passion, humor and vision. He loved spending time with his family, especially his grandchildren, who lovingly called him “Pap.” He enjoyed entertaining friends, especially on autumn weekends while tailgating before Auburn games. Each year he donned a Santa hat to entertain his family and guests. Gibson also loved the beauty of nature, which he often enjoyed from his house on Lake Martin, where he skied, boated and watched the sun set. An accomplished scholar, businessman, father, grandfather and friend, Gibson will be missed by many loved ones. David Calhoun Williams III (BS ’66, MS ’74, PhD ’76) of Valdosta died May 31. After serving in the Peace Corps in Ghana, Africa, where he taught English, Williams worked at the Doctor’s Laboratory as a clinical toxicologist. He was a lifelong Bulldogs fan and enjoyed hobbies such as woodworking, gardening and bee keeping. He is survived by his wife, children and many loved ones. Carolyn Head (BSEd ’69) of Marietta died April 21. Head worked in computer services for Coca-Cola for 16 years, starting in 1984. After graduating from UGA with honors, she worked as a librarian in Athens. She was an active member in NorthStar Church, where she served in the outreach program and Red Hat Society. She volunteered with Wellstar Tranquility Hospice House in the pet therapy program. David Slate (BBA ’69) of Anderson, Ind., died April 9. Slate was a supervisor for General Motors for 30 years before retiring from Delphi. He was a member of Meadowbrook Baptist Church and the Madison County Humane Society. He loved his pets: George, Bessy and Lily. He will be dearly missed by his wife and many loved ones.

1970–1974

John Lansdale Creson (BBA ’70, JD ’73) of Augusta died April 27. After graduating cum laude from UGA’s law school, Creson practiced family law in both Georgia and South Carolina for more than 35 years. A beloved father and friend, he was also a member of the Morris Museum of Art, the Augusta Bar Association, the Georgia Bar Association, and the South Carolina Bar Association. He was a member of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church and is survived by his children and sisters. John Thomas Brumby Jr. (BBA ’71) of Atlanta died Nov. 2. Brumby was most proud of his loving relationship with his wife and children and will be remembered for his infectious upbeat attitude. A star football and baseball player in high school, Brumby was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity at UGA. He worked in the legal department of Atlanta Federal Savings and Loan Association while completing his law degree at the Woodrow Wilson School of Law. Brumby had a distinguished career with Mitchell, Clarke, Pate and Anderson, where he specialized in commercial and real estate law. He then practiced law in the Atlanta firm of Karns, Harp and Brumby. He was a member of Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church and a devoted father, husband and friend. He will be remembered dearly by his wife, children, mother, brothers and extended family. James Paul Thaxton Jr. (PhD ’71) of Starkville, Miss., died Oct. 17. As a high school and college student, Thaxton was a member of the Volunteer Fire Department and an outstanding football player. He was the first student from Starkville to attend Ole Miss on a football scholarship. After graduating with a Ph.D. in animal physiology from UGA, he accepted a position on the faculty at North Carolina State University, where he was a professor and head of the physiology faculty. He received the Poultry Science Association Research Award before leaving to co-found Embrex Inc., the first biotech company strictly producing poultry industry products. Thaxton was the author of seven patents and received the governor of North Carolina’s Award of Entrepreneurial Excellence during his time with Embrex. He returned to Mississippi State, where he was awarded the University Alumni Association’s Research Award and received the highest honor awarded in his chosen field—he was elected a Fellow in the Poultry Science Association. Thaxton was also invited to join the advisory board of the American Humane Society and the animal welfare advisory committee for Yum Foods’ KFC. He is internationally known for his expertise in birds’ stress. He was an active member of St. Joseph Catholic Church, the Knights of Columbus, the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, and a life member of the Catholic Foundation of the Diocese of Jackson, where he set up a trust for elementary school education for minority students. Robert “Bob” White Jr. (AB ’71) of Tucker died Sept. 23, 2007. A direct descendant of a family that first came to DeKalb County in 1845, White was a lifelong resident. He had a long career in the Department of Archives and History for the state of Georgia, serving as an officer in the Society of Georgia Archivists and president of the Georgia Records Association and ending his time there as a deputy director. White finished his career as budget and capital projects director under then-Secretary of State Cathy Cox. While there, he budgeted and did fiscal planning, helped coordinate and manage the professional licensing board facility in Macon, served on the team designing and constructing the new state archives building in Morrow, and served on the pre-design team for a new state history museum. Toward the end of his career he earned a certificate in personal financial planning and passed the national certified financial planner exam, joining the firm of Key Planning and Kowalsky Tax and Financial Counseling as a financial planner. He was a member of the Northlake-DeKalb Kiwanis Club, Atlanta Club of Inquiry and the Classic Glass Corvette Club. He had a lifelong passion for sports cars and motorcycles and participated in several auto shows, regional events and the Woodward Dream Cruise. White also enjoyed snow skiing, jogging and statistical and financial analysis. He was a member of and served on the diaconate of Rehoboth Presbyterian Church and later of Presbyterian Church of Atlanta. He is survived by his wife of 35 years and many loved ones. Gary Couvillon (PhD ’72) of Watkinsville died April 24. A professor emeritus at UGA, Couvillon had a long and admirable career. He came to UGA in 1963 and simultaneously worked on his Ph.D. He was named head of the department of horticulture in 1986, remaining in that position for 12 years. During his 42-year tenure, he contributed much to teaching and research. He received nine teaching awards and was considered a classical horticulturalist. Additionally, he was named a NATO Fellow and Fulbright Scholar. He had consulting projects in several international locations and was faculty advisor of the Horticulture Club. He is survived by his wife, mother, three children and many other friends and family. John Terrell Hutto Jr. (BBA ’72) of Sandy Springs died unexpectedly Oct. 24 after a long struggle with kidney failure and a kidney transplant in April 2006. Hutto lived with vitality and energy until the end. A Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity brother during his time at UGA, Hutto was talented at maintaining friendships. He enlisted in the U.S. Air Force, where he utilized his love of scuba diving to dive in missile water reservoirs and make repairs. He began working for Ford Motor Company in 1978, fulfilling a dream he had since he first fell in love with Mustangs at the age of 16. He won several national awards for his work at the company. Hutto loved sailing, UGA football, good barbecue, his family and many friends. He is survived by his wife, daughter, parents and brothers. Robert Wesley Sappington Jr. (BBA ’72) of Fortson died April 12. A devoted missionary, Sappington retired from Southern Bell and AT&T before opening his own business. As a member of Morningside Baptist Church, he served as a deacon, a Sunday School teacher for 35 years and an active missionary. Sappington had a passion for ministry to others as well as the outdoors and Georgia bulldogs. He is survived by his wife, three children, three siblings, five grandchildren and mother-in-law. William Thomas Dean (MPA ’73) of Forsyth died Jan. 22. Dean, who was devoted to his family, friends and public service, served as a law enforcement officer and administrator for 42 years. A veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, he was also a member of Fairfield Presbyterian Church in Fairfield, Fla. He served as the chief of police and assistant director of public safety for UGA. He was the first director of the Northeast Georgia Regional Police Academy while working toward a master’s degree in public administration. After UGA, Dean was a staff member and director of the police management division for the International Association of Chiefs of Police. He was instrumental in the development and implementation of the national accreditation program for law enforcement agencies. He finished his career by serving as the director of technical services, director of general instruction division and as the special assistant to the director for the Georgia Public Safety Training Center in Forsyth. He is survived by many loved ones. Geraldine Sherfey (EdS ’73, EdD ’78) of Port Charlotte, Fla., died March 30. Sherfey’s dedication to education was recognized in Marquis Who’s Who. Raising four children with her confidante, Colleen Chirinos, while earning a double degree in biology and education, Sherfey was always determined and committed. She taught biology at the secondary level and was appointed chairman of the science department at Griffith High School in Griffith, Ind. After earning her doctorate from UGA, Sherfey became involved with programs to provide college-level academic opportunities for the disadvantaged in Indiana. Always advocating world peace, she was an active member in the International Council for World Peace. She traveled the world, experiencing new cultures firsthand, visiting academic institutions and meeting local educators. She is survived by Chirinos, a son, daughters, a sister, a brother and many other loved ones. Janice Cavin (BSEd ’74, MEd ’79) of Calhoun, formerly of Winder, died Aug. 23, 2007. Cavin was a schoolteacher in Cobb Co., Newton Co., Oglethorpe Co., and Green Co. before teaching for Murray County School System at Coker Elementary School. She was a devoted pastor’s wife for 28 years. She is survived by her husband, Mike Cavin, and many loved ones. James Gordon “Jim” Patrick (BBA ’74) of Spartanburg, S.C., died April 30. Patrick served in the U.S. Navy during the Cuban missile crisis, was a member of the Fraternal Order of Police, was a member and first sergeant of the South Carolina State Guard and was founder and president of the Westside Booster Club for Youth Sports. John Poulos (BSEd ’74) of Snellville died April 29. Poulos was a coach and teacher in middle schools and high schools throughout Texas and Georgia. As a U.S. Air Force veteran, he served a tour in Vietnam before graduating from UGA. Before his death, he was a defensive football coach and teacher at Grayson High School. Poulos loved fishing and playing golf with his friends. His smile and personality will be missed by his wife of 40 years, two sons, father, brother, sister and everyone who knew him.

1975–1979

Gangadharappa Nanjundappa (PhD ’76) of Fullerton, Calif., died Sept. 3, 2007. A 35-year faculty member at California State University, Fullerton, Nanjundappa spent the past 12 years as president of the CSUF chapter of the California Faculty Association and member of the CFA Chapter President’s Council. His colleagues expressed sadness at the loss of a man with an “all-encompassing vision with the university always at heart.” He frequently met with members of the California government to advocate several issues that dealt with education and to ensure appropriate funding. Between 1991 and 2001, he was a statewide CFA board member. He served for five years as a CFA statewide associate vice president. He continuously worked in support of high-quality educational opportunities for students and working conditions for faculty. He was a member of the Academic Senate starting in 1994 and served on several other committees in representation of fellow colleagues. Photographs of his role models, Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Gandhi, hung above his desk as a constant reminder of his lifelong ideals and goals. He was also a member of organizations including the International Union for Health Promotion and Education, the American Sociological Association, the Population Association of America, and the Orange County Democratic Central Committee. He always provided his fellow faculty and students with encouragement, counsel and assistance. Nanjundappa was honored with several awards for his university contributions, such as establishing the Women’s Studies minor program. Born in India, he often joked that during his years as a student in the U.S., he had to carry around a bottle of hot sauce for the bland food. A dedicated scholar, he published several papers on various subjects related to sociology. He is survived by his daughter and will be missed dearly by all that knew him. Gloria Priest (BFA ’76) of Norwood, N.C., died March 30. Together with her husband, she co-founded Classic Engraving Inc., in Matthews, N.C. She was a member of Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church in Weddington, N.C. Priest is survived by her husband, daughters and many loved ones. George M. Hayes Sr. (MFA ’78) of Pleasant Grove, Ala., died Nov. 26. Hayes was a former teacher at Shorter College in Rome and a member of Mountain Top Community Church. He was employed at Home Depot at the time of his death. He is survived by his wife of 37 years, daughter, granddaughter and brother. Rebecca F. Morris(BMus ’78) of Oak Ridge, Tenn., died May 27. Morris began teaching music after her graduation from UGA. She moved to Tennessee with her husband and earned a degree in speech pathology. She worked at NHC and later in the Morgan and Anderson County school systems. A member of the First United Methodist Church and the Oak Ridge Community Band, she always incorporated music into her life, playing in several music groups. She is survived by her husband, two children, mother, sister, brother, niece and nephews.

1980–1984

Florence H. Snyder (BSEd ’80, MEd ’82) of Atlanta died Nov. 14. She is survived by her husband and many loved ones. Anne Hale Savage (BFA ’83) of Watkinsville died April 26. A loving person with many friends, Savage was very involved in her children’s activities. She loved the beach and spending time at the family cabin. She is survived by her husband, two daughters, sisters, nieces and mother-in-law. Brian Steffy (PhD ’84) of Lancaster, Pa., died May 26. In addition to teaching at Franklin and Marshall College for 20 years, Steffy also taught at the University of Kentucky and University of Minnesota. He was a highly regarded teacher, colleague and scholar in the field of organizational psychology. Steffy committed four years to the Air Force, during which he worked as a psychiatric social worker. He was a minority inspector for Manheim Township Voting District #21, as well as a dedicated athlete. He competed in Ironman Triathalons in Canada, France and across the U.S. A thrill seeker, Steffy also participated in adventure races, mountain climbing, fencing, sailing and kayaking. He was also musically inclined, playing the guitar, piano, drums and cello. He is survived by his wife, sisters and many loved ones.

1990–1994

David Charles Moss (JD ’91) of Suwanee died May 6. Myra Aikens (JD ’94) of Decatur died April 15. An avid gardener, Aikens was a member of the Florida State University marching band, for which she played clarinet and was a majorette. She loved her horse, Gypsy, and her many pets. She is survived by her mother, sister, brothers and several nieces and nephews.

1995–1999

Jordan Kicklighter (AB ’95) of Lynchburg, Va., died May 2. Kicklighter was happiest when spending time with his family and playing his guitar. He loved music and being outdoors. Kicklighter worked at the medical branch of the University of Texas until he moved to Lynchburg to work at Lynchburg College in the office of community advancement. He played an instrumental role in developing and implementing the College’s observatory at Claytor Nature Study Center and in the institution of the College’s recycling program.

2000–2004

Jennifer Bailey (ABJ ’02) of Blairsville died April 6. An avid Bulldog fan, Bailey loved life and was determined to live hers to the fullest despite her medical difficulties. As a liver transplant recipient, she was an advocate for organ donation. Bailey worked for Sen. Zell Miller in Atlanta, was a pharmaceutical rep for Aventis and worked at the Mountain Education Center in Blairsville. Cayle Bywater (BBA ’02) of Dunwoody died Jan. 11. A UGA graduate student, she worked as a data management specialist at UGA’s agricultural college and volunteered at Nuçi’s Space. She is survived by her mother, stepfather, siblings and many other loved ones. Erlene Margaret Zierke (M ’02) of Columbus died May 25. A member of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, she worked for Turner Entertainment as a producer and director. She is survived by her parents, brother, aunt and uncle.